Wakulla County Courthouse

Wakulla County Courthouse (Anne Kaylor Collection)
clear.gif (848 bytes)

     Wakulla County was formed in 1843. The word is of aboriginal origin and may refer to the famous springs, for which the county is actually named. However, one suggested translation is "misting" and may refer to the "Wakulla Volcano," a mysterious nineteenth century geological event that occasionally caused plumes of smoke visible as far away as Tallahassee. The original seat of Wakulla County was located at Port Leon, on the Gulf of Mexico near St. Marks. Before official buildings could be constructed, however, a hurricane and tidal wave struck Port Leon and it was all but obliterated from the map. County government therefore set up in Newport, and was later shifted to Crawfordville. Wakulla County Courthouse. (Photo by Calvin L. Beale of the US Dept. of Agriculture)

     Despite its small size Wakulla County has produced some illustrious citizens. Two members of the pioneer Crawford family (for whom Crawfordville is named) have served as Florida’s Secretary of State, and longtime Supreme Court justice B. K. Roberts was born in the village of  Sopchoppy. Additionally, it has been claimed that the "hush puppy" originated in the Wakulla fishing community of St. Marks.

     The wooden vernacular-style courthouse in Crawfordville was designed by G. W. Tully and was constructed in 1892-3. It is said to be the last wood-frame courthouse in use in Florida. In 1948 it was relocated one block away, to make room for new facilities (designed by architect James A. Stripling), and was thereafter restored for use as a county library.

Wakulla County Courthouse (Photo by Jared Anton)

Wakulla County Courthouse

Wakulla County Courthouse (Photo by Calvin L. Beale US Dept. of Agriculture)

Read more about the Wakulla Courthouse

| Page 8 | Index | Home |

Page Updated 10/17/2003