| Taylor County was created in
1856 and named for Zachary Taylor, Mexican War hero and President of the United States; he
had also fought in Florida's Seminole War. The original, temporary county seat selected by
the legislature was the "house of David Bryant."
In 1857 the board of county commissioners purchased forty acres from the state, at a cost of $75, for purposes of a county seat. "A courthouse of rough logs" was erected and the new town was named Rose Head. It did not prosper at first, as only one house was recorded in 1860. In 1879 the town was renamed Perrytown in honor of Governor Madison Starke Perry, and later shortened to Perry. The historic Taylor County Courthouse was completed in 1907 at a cost of $54,000. It was in use until 1969.
| Page 8 | Index | Home |