Sumter County Courthouse

Sumter County Courthouse (Jared Anton Collection)

    Sumter County, founded in 1853, was named for Sumter, South Carolina, whence many settlers came; that name in turn honors Revolutionary War hero Thomas Sumter. The original county seat was Adamsville, near Wildwood, where a log courthouse existed until the seat was relocated to Sumterville in 1858.

An engraving of the first courthouse in Bushnell. (Circa 1886)
Engraving of the first Bushnell Courthouse. (circa 1886) Picture from the Florida Archives.

     After several more moves, a permanent county seat was established in Bushnell. This was originally aA wonderful drawing celebrating the Sumter County Courthouse. (Origin unknown) railroad stop, named in 1885 for J. W. Bushnell, a railroad surveyor. The current Sumter County Courthouse was built by James Naim in 1913-14.

Sumter County Courthouse Postcard dated March 19, 1948  (Keith Vincent Collection)      The back view of the Sumter County Postcard (Keith Vincent Collection)

Sumter County Judicial Building Sumter Judicial Building

Historic Sumter County Courthouse (Jared Anton Collection)
Current View of
Historic Courthouse

| Page 7 | Index | Home |

Updated 10/17/2003