| Putnam County, established in
1849, was named for Benjamin A. Putnam, a St. Augustine lawyer who served in the Second
Seminole War. The county seat is Palatka, originally known as Buena Vista, Gray's Place,
Bush Post, and Ft. Shannon. Like Jacksonville farther north (which was originally known as
wacca pilatka, or "cow ford"), it was the location of an important
fording place across the broad St. Johns River.
The historic postcard photo depicts the current Putnam County Courthouse, but with a cupola that has since been removed as can be seen from this color photo supplied by Jared Anton. (Note..the little boy by the flagpole in the picture is Jared Anton's son Paul, who accompanies his Dad on his trips around Florida collecting pictures of Florida Courthouses.)
| Page 7 | Index | Home |