| Pinellas County occupies the
large peninsula on the west side of Tampa Bay, at the tip of which lies Point Pinellas or punta
pinal, "point of pines." The county was separated from Hillsborough County
in 1911. Among the original settlements was Clear Water Harbor, located near the Seminole
War-era Ft. Harrison and named for a freshwater spring which rose just offshore in the
Gulf of Mexico. Later shortened to Clearwater, the community became the county seat.
It is reported that Clearwater residents, knowing of legislation prohibiting the moving of the county seat for twenty years after construction of a courthouse, constructed a makeshift courthouse virtually overnight. A more permanent structure, designed in the Classical Revival style by Francis J. Kennard, was completed in 1918. Pinellas County has retained and restored its historic courthouse, although it is now surrounded by newer construction. The postcard view is from the mid-1930's.
Picture of Clearwater Courthouse
| Page 7 | Index | Home |