Martin County Courthouse

Martin County Courthouse

     Martin County was carved from Palm Beach and St. Lucie Counties in 1925. The name honors Governor John W. Martin. The county seat is Stuart (originally Potsdam), named for a station agent of the Florida East Coast Railway.

     The Martin County Courthouse depicted above was designed by L. Phillips Clarke of West Palm Beach.  The building was originally a high school, constructed in 1915. and was modified for its present use in 1937. A view of the school before the remodeling can be seen in Hampton Dunn’s postcard-history book " Wish You Were Here." The county has since constructed a newer facility. 

      The Martin County branch courthouse in Indiantown. Photo by Michael RaidenAlso featured is a view of the county’s branch courthouse at rural Indiantown.

New Martin County Courthouse
New  Courthouse
Jared Anton Collection

 Martin County Courthouse (Keith Vincent Collection)      The back view of the Martin County Courthouse Postcard Dated Sept. 22, 1949 (Keith Vincent Collection)
Keith Vincent Collection


| Page 5 | Index | Home |