Indian River County Courthouse

     The Indian River, actually a saltwater estuary, follows much of Florida's Atlantic coastline. The county bearing its name was created in 1925. Although a promoter of Quay (now Winter Beach) offered $100,000 for construction of a courthouse there, the honor went to Vero, since renamed Vero Beach. The name was chosen by Sarah Gifford, wife of Henry Gifford, the town's founder. The first county offices were located on the secondIndian River County Courthouse (Photo by Jared Anton) floor of the Seminole Building and in the Palmetto Hotel; the latter, more recently renovated for use as an apartment, is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The courthouse was built in 1936 and occupied in 1937.    To the right is a picture of the current courthouse.

[Home] [Index] [Page 4]