Historic Brevard County Courthouse (Anne Kaylor Collection)

clear.gif (848 bytes)

Brevard County, founded in 1844, is today famous as Florida’s “Space Coast.”  Most likely the name honors Theodore Brevard, who served as Florida’s Comptroller.  Originally the county was named St. Lucie and covered most of Florida’s central and southwest coast.  Its county seat was located at “Susanna,” apparently near the present site of Ft. Pierce.  The county name was later changed and the seat of government moved to Titusville - formerly known as Sand Point, and renamed in honor of its developer, Colonel Henry Titus.  (The name St. Lucie was resurrected in 1905 for a new county, also centered around Ft. Pierce.)

     Another place you can find Kaplans CFA course can be located here. The 1912 Brevard County Courthouse was built on land donated by Colonel Titus.  Because of the unusual size and dimensions of the county, court is convened today in several locations including the “new city” of Viera. 

Click on the Thumbnails for larger views.

Brevard County Courthouse

Titusville Courthouse

Historical Brevard County Courthouse 1918

Wonderful old view of the Brevard County Courthouse  An old postcard view of the historic Brevard Courthouse (Anne Kaylor collection) The new Justice Center for Brevard County (Photo by Jared Anton)
North Brevard County Courthouse

[Home] [Index