| Baker County was the 39th county formed in
Florida and is named for James McNair Baker, a judge and Confederate States Senator.
It was established by an "act of nation" shortly after secession in 1861, but
prior to Florida joining the Confederacy. The county seat, Macclenny, was renamed for its
founder in 1885; originally it was known as Darbyville. From 1861 until 1886 the village
of Sanderson served as county seat. Baker County and Macclenny are renowned for the
large nurseries which raise pecans, camellias, and other species. The county is also the
site of Olustee or Ocean Pond, Florida's only major Civil War engagement. Note the
distinctive cupola on the older structure. An even older wooden courthouse,
constructed in 1888, was lost to fire. The historic courthouse dating from 1908 was
designed by the Atlanta architect Edward C. Hosford and now houses
the Emily Taber Library.
[Home] [Index] [ Page 1]